Thursday, October 23, 2014

[Book] The Catcher in The Rye

Little, brown and company, NY 2001

Our main character, Holden Caufield is an attentive observer and his mind overflow with thousand of both sense and nonsense questions. Very sensitive and clear description about people and problems around. We can figure out those kind of characteristics in people that we met everyday. And when you've clear mind about something, people think that you are psycho. That's bring trouble in social interaction, all the  relationship seem so phony. As the way Caufield respected English teacher Mr.Antolini explain:
 ...you're not the first person who was ever confused and frighten and even sicked by human behavior...Many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now (p.246).
Right now, means everything temporarily happens like this and it's gonna be normal if you learn to adapt to the crowd and stimulate their "normal" behaviors?An inspired human can bring the lost sheep back to his track?

The expectation din get fulfilled and he keeps nostalgic about old good and young days. Depression is the feeling appear almost in every start of new chapter. And he depress about almost everything. When a person lost in his own feeling trap, that's gotta be quite an ocean for him to over cross. He'd be in thirst of being accompanied, being responded and being understand. In short of 2 days long, Caulfield wanted to find a companion, no matter that listener is taxi drivers or a whore. Somehow, this lonesomeness finally bring him to negative-over-reaction, from our point of view. From his view, it's the impatient of failing of getting other understand his expression. The thing haunted is that will normal and not lonesome one, have the great patient to spend time and attention to those lonesome? Or they you think it's not their business and better getaway from this mess. Lonesomeness, the biggest matter of human being. It was 50 years ago, and it still appear now.

The book itself mentioned too many matter we'd encounter in our life. One of big event that we have to face is our beloved one passed away. He showed very sensitive sense by hating way relatives come and bring flower, but then leaving Allie (his younger brother) alone in the rain, under the deep cold tomb. That's the part moved me the most. I have a brother, and I can't imagine how can i stand if he's under the earth. Definitely can't get out of grief and probably cry whenever thinking about him. I even regret while writing those lines. This supposed to be a terrible thinking, thought of my beloved family member will pass away. That torture and depress me. Once, I woke up at midnight, all sweat and over flow of tears, with full of dreadful thought of my parents will pass away one day. It's ok if I'm death, nothing to fear abt (at least to me now). Nevertheless, I can't stand being left behind. I was thinking of get the ash and bring it all the time in the crystal necklace. I don't want to leave any of my beloved one under the damn cold stone.  

Written with common language and simple expression, get reader easy to understand character's feeling and mood. 1945 background, the book has it reason to be favored by plenty of people. Surely, the book uncover the ugly side of one's psychology world , we will find ourselves in Holden Caulfield sometime.
What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy (pp.224-225). 
I think, he caught me, as he did catch thousands of lonely reader for the whole 50 years round. Honestly, this is a "terrible falling" period for me, or at least I think so, the status of "give up looking before ever really even got started (p.244)". After all, Caufield's get some psycho healing treatment; people think he need help and try to offer help, in a very cold way.


No comments:

Post a Comment